Friday, August 10, 2007

Gerrard very confident about Liverpool chances

Steven Gerrard is "very confident" after Liverpool's summer buying spree as he prepares for a campaign playing in his favoured central role.
The Liverpool skipper has been impressed with boss Rafael Benitez's ?40million of new signings, more so because it is likely to see him leading the side from central midfield rather than the right-sided role he has frequently occupied under the Spanish coach.
Gerrard, speaking to LiverpoolTV, said: "I like to play in the middle, everyone knows that, but it is a team game and points are more important, so I can't be selfish and say I want this and that.
"But we have bought wingers, so the middle is where I want to play and I am looking forward to that now.
"Rafa has brought in quality players and we are stronger. But I won't make any judgements now, I've done that before and things have not always worked out.
"But the new boys will make an impact, they all have individual qualities to bring to the squad, and we are all very confident.
"And I known how things work here, how the focus is on a new player to score. But Fernando Torres will handle that pressure of being expected to score goal, he is a top player who works really hard for the team, that is what matters."

No comments: