Sunday, September 2, 2007

Hyypia commits future to Reds

Sami Hyypia has insisted he is happy at Liverpool and will not be leaving the Reds before the transfer deadline.
The Finn is third-choice centre-back at Anfield behind Daniel Agger and Jamie Carragher but the latter's current rib injury means experienced Hyypia is back in Rafa Benitez's starting line-up.Cover is at a premium at centre-back and Hyypia, who has been linked with a move away all summer, insists he is going nowhere."I'll always be ready whenever I get the shout to play," he said. "So far, I'm okay with this situation. I know I'll get to play a lot of games. When I get the chance to play, I'll show what I can do."There were stories in the newspapers about some clubs, but I'd already spoken to the boss after Athens last season and he told me he didn't want to sell me. For me, that was what I wanted to hear."Hyypia said he was pleased with the defensive display in the 4-0 second leg Champions League win over Toulouse in which he headed home the second goal from a corner.He added: "It was a good performance and we did a professional job. It felt good to put the captain's armband on again. "I don't like the way it's come about of course, because I don't want to see Stevie (Gerrard) and Carra injured, but I'm always very proud to be captain of Liverpool."

No comments: