Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chelsea's Fernando Torres wants goal against Liverpool

Chelsea's new £50m signing Fernando Torres has said it would be "destiny" to score against former club Liverpool when the teams meet on Sunday.
By coincidence, the Spaniard could make his debut for the Blues against the side he left on Monday.
The 26-year-old striker has not asked to be left out of the Premier League clash and stated: "It is like destiny."
He admitted: "It is not perfect but if I have the chance to play, I will do my best and hopefully I can score."
Torres' departure from Anfield, where he spent the best part of four years, was greeted with anger by many fans, some of whom burnt replica shirts bearing their former hero's name.
But the player stressed: "I only have good words about Liverpool. They made me a top player and gave me the chance to play at the top level.
"I will never say anything bad about Liverpool. I have been very happy there but now the history is different and I am playing for Chelsea."
Torres, who scored 81 goals during his spell on Merseyside, risked further annoying fans of his former club when he told Chelsea TV: "I am joining a team that is at the top level. There is not another level after Chelsea.
"I am joining with big names like [John] Terry, [Frank] Lampard, [Didier] Drogba and [Nicolas] Anelka and I can be part of this great team."
Torres admitted he had not yet met up with the Blues manager Carlo Ancelotti but said: "I wanted to join because Chelsea always have shown a big respect for me.
"They really want me and it is important when you have the support of the people in the club, and the support of the fans who always showed respect to me when I came to Stamford Bridge and at Anfield.
"Now I am very happy to be a Chelsea player."
Fans of the Stamford Bridge outfit will be relieved not to have Torres lining up against them for once, after he proved to be a thorn in their side with seven goals against them while playing for Liverpool.
The striker added: "I have good memories and bad memories of games against Chelsea. All the goals are good memories because all of them are special.
"If they are happy as well because I am not going to score any more against them then it is good."

No comments: