Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Crouch Disappointed With Lack Of Praise

Peter Crouch has spoken of his disappointment at failing to get recognition for his achievements on the pitch last season, while admits questioning manager Rafael Benitez about his plans for him during this campaign.
The England forward netted 18 goals last season to be the clubs top goalscorer, yet he was not a fixture in the first team and for this reason he believes he should get similar credit to that of Chelsea forward Didier Drogba, who was the Premiership's top marksman last season.
Liverpool have sold Craig Bellamy and Djibril Cisse this summer, but have added strikers Andriy Voronin and Fernando Torres, which leaves Crouch competing with those as well as Dirk Kuyt for a place in Benitez's first team.
Crouch, who reportedly has a £20m price tag on his head, explained: "A lot of players went to see the manager after the season just to wrap things up and to see what the future held. I was no different. I wanted to go and see him.
"I felt I had had a good season at Liverpool and played well, but I just needed to know that I was still in his plans for next year.
"Drogba was fantastic last year and got the credit he deserved because he scored 33 goals, but you look at the goals I scored for the time I was on the pitch and I think perhaps my record goes unnoticed and isn't given the scrutiny Drogba's is.
"At times I do find it frustrating but all I can do, rather than shout and scream and say 'Look how good I am', is do it on the pitch and hopefully convince people with my performances."

No comments: