Saturday, July 7, 2007

Liverpool's Sissoko: I rejected Barcelona, Juventus
Mali international Mohamed Sissoko has claimed he turned down offers from Barcelona and Juventus in order to remain with Liverpool.
The midfielder struggled with injuries last term and the arrival of Javier Mascherano halfway through the season forced him further down Rafa Benitez's pecking order.
Sissoko is determined to prove his worth next term, after revealing he snubbed offers from Barca and Juve in order to remain at Anfield.

"It is true that I received nice offers this summer," Sissoko told football365.fr.
"Those offers were interesting on both financial and sporting levels. But I made up my mind and decided to stay here because there is a nice project.
"Liverpool are an ambitious club hungry for titles and this attracts me. Besides, staying can help me to progress.
"The offers came from Juventus and Barcelona. It has been very difficult to take my decision as I was in direct contact with both clubs. I analysed the pros and the cons and made a choice that I don't regret."
Sissoko says he came close to leaving, but was reassured he had a future at the club by Benitez and chief executive Rick Parry.
He added: "They both wished to keep me and put my name on the non-transferable players list."
Although admitting he endured a mixed season, Sissoko feels the fact Barca and Juve came calling proves he has the talent to succeed at the highest level.
"If Juventus and Barcelona have been interested in me and wanted me to sign, that is not for nothing. I have proved my worth. It is always a pleasure to receive such offers from big teams like that.
"I progressed last season, but the injuries slowed me down. Those injuries happened at the worst moments for me, but the page has been turned.
"A new season is about to start and I want it to be a great year."

No comments: