Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dudek Confirms Madrid Deal

Jerzy Dudek has confirmed a deal has been agreed between him and the Spanish champions, leaving just a medical to pass for the Polish International.
The highly-experienced goalkeeper was available on a free transfer after being released by Liverpool FC at the end of last season.
He was expected to join one of his many suitors in England, with Manchester City and Bolton being strong favourites, however it seems a move to Real Madrid was to difficult to turn down at this late stage of his career,
"On Sunday or Monday I will fly to Spain to pass medicals," Dudek told Polish newspaper Rzeczpospolita.
"On the same day I will sign a contract and will be presented as a new Real player. I hope so and I am really happy with this."
"The offer from Real overshadowed all the others”, continued Dudek, revealing interest arrived from across Europe.
"I was considering a return to Feyenoord, Jacek Krzynowek was encouraging me to join him at Wolfsburg, an interesting offer from a respected newly promoted Premiership club appeared and I was also thinking of moving to Portugal."
"However, when Real showed interest I was very proud and did not think long.”
Although Dudek will surely pass his medical in the next couple of days, he was adamant that he did not see his move as translating to being Iker Casillas’ backup, a role that most journalists have already relegated him to,
"Real is the best. I know that Iker Casillas plays there. He is a great goalkeeper and, moreover, he is a club trainee. Fans love and respect such players. However, you can always find a place for yourself."
"No player who has ambitions will tell you that he will be satisfied with sitting on the bench. I have gone through something like this at Liverpool and I know what kind of feeling it is. Why do you already give me such a role?"
"I am 34 years old, feel good and live a sporting way of life. I intend to play a few more years as it is possible being a goalkeeper."
Dudek will become the third arrival at Los Merengues this summer, following the signings of defenders Pepe and Christoph Metzelder.

No comments: