Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Fowler hails Torres coup

Robbie Fowler has tipped Fernando Torres to be 'a great player' for Liverpool as the Atletico Madrid striker reportedly closes on a move to Anfield.
Reports in Spain claim that the Atletico captain has cut short his holiday to finalise a club record switch to the UEFA Champions League finalists.
And Kop idol Fowler is hoping that Torres could be a key figure in Liverpool ending a 17-year wait for the title.
"His record is 82 goals in 200 games for Atletico, I think," Fowler told Sky Sports News. "His record has been fantastic in Spain.
"He has scored goals for his country as well. I think he'll be a great player for Liverpool.
"To be honest I'm a Liverpool fan and I hope he brings the championship to Liverpool.
"Since I've been playing, we've never won that, and as I said before I'm a fan, so I want Liverpool to win everything.
"Players signing of this calibre will only help the club to get in a position where they can challenge for titles."
Fowler also feels that Rafa Benitez's side require a dose of luck to end the drought in the Premier League.
He added: "I'm not a manager, so I don't know how it works, but you've obviously got to sign the right players.
"At the end of the day you need a bit of luck and Liverpool have not really had that.
"We've been notoriously slow starters. If you look, it took a while to get going, but we probably finished the season as well as anyone, so you need a bit of luck to be honest."

No comments: